Sunday 4 October 2009

82 shopping days to Christmas

The end of the weekend is upon us once more - 'oh too quickly dost thou pass, thy haven of rest from life's drudgery.'

Weather's been okay and although there's been a bit of sun around, it's definitely chilly. I filled the council green waste bin with leaves today from the lawn and they collect it on Wednesday, just in time for the next lot to go in. Just to the west of us across the road are some huge beech trees and when the wind blows like it did on Saturday, guess where all the leaves go? You got it - my garden. I can just imagine what Victor Meldrew would do if he walked out one Saturday morning and saw someone else's leaves on his lawn: "I DON'T BELIEVE IT!" Its something I've got used to over the last thirteen years - get the blower out, pile them up, suck them in and shove them in the bin.

Having the bin does save me carting them off to the tip although by mid November, there'll be too many leaves for the bin and I will still have to take some bags to the tip. I used to compost them, but don't have the room any more since we landscaped.

We're busy packing (in fact her indoors has just finished) to go to Norwich on Monday night to spend three days doing my family history research. I've gone as far as I can using the Internet and relatives, I need to go and look at the County archives to dig a little deeper, get some social history of the family as farmers in the fens of Norfolk in the late eighteenth century through to the late nineteenth century. We'll be back sometime Thursday.

So I hope you all have a productive and safe week, think about getting that Christmas shopping in, the shops have got the cards and prezzie ideas already - only 82 shopping days to Christmas left! And it's time to put the Brussels Sprouts on and they'll just be about ready in time for Yuletide Didn't I read recently that the Post Office are saying that if you don't post for Christmas now, letters won't arrive in time? That has GOT to be a joke.

Why is Christmas just like a day at the office?
Because you do all the work and the fat guy in the suit gets all the credit.

Have a great week.

Chat soon

ta-ra!

3 comments:

  1. christmas - bah humbug!
    erm, no it's not a joke, Royal Mail's strike is going to be nationwide...they'll probably have all the xmas casuals in early like they did two years ago when me and son worked in sheffield mail centre to help clear the strike backlog.

    Josie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't mention the c word !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments Auntiegwen and Josie, I've heard the news today on the way home of the Royal Mail impending strike :( best send my Christmas cards now!

    ReplyDelete