Friday 6 April 2012

Bank Holiday Blues

Happy Easter. It's Bank Holiday weekend in the UK and the start of a short holiday for me. The last couple of weeks has been really busy both at home and at work and rather tiring hence no blog. I've done another Angel stall with my business partner Linda; and her and I have given free Reiki treatments on behalf of Hull and East Riding Breast Friends (HER Breast Friends) a group dedicated to supporting women who have or have had breast cancer. So weekends have become a bit of a premium. My son is home from University and it's a pleasure to have him back and today, we sat and painted with oil paints together which was really nice and relaxing. 

Now I'm sure you've noticed if you are in the UK that the weather has returned to what can only be described as wintry again. I was in Leeds on business on Wednesday. I set off from Hull in driving rain and sleet and the spray on the roads was terrible. There was gale force winds during the night, several trees had been blown down near us and in the north of England, 50,000 homes were without electricity due to power lines being brought down. Bear in mind this is the first substantial rain for several weeks, there was much in the way of standing water on the roads.

I had driven about 35 miles when all of a sudden, the verges and the hedges began to take on a white hue and as I reached the A1, there was snow as far as the eye could see. Just another 30 miles up the road, roads were blocked because of snow. It's April for goodness sake! Still, I made nice patterns in the car park.


Although winter is only recently demised, we need the rain and the water because in Yorkshire there is an official drought order in place. They haven't banned hosepipes yet, but it's only a matter of time I guess. Much of the south east of England have drought orders in place and they have hosepipe bans already and we're just into spring.

We're losing our electricity for a day next week whilst the local power company connect some new houses across the road. Time to spend a day in the garden, but the long term forecast doesn't look very inspiring. I do hope this late snow and ice didn't damage any crops or buds on the bushes and trees. I do recall having snow on Easter Friday when I was about 16 and that was in April too so it's not unheard of.

Forgive the language, but here's a little moral story for the festive season:

A little bird was flying south for the winter. It was so cold the bird froze and fell to the ground into a large field. While he was lying there, a cow came by and dropped some dung on him.

As the frozen bird lay there in the pile of cow dung, he began to realise how warm he was. The dung was actually thawing him out!

He lay there all warm and happy, and soon began to sing for joy. A passing cat heard the bird singing and came to investigate.

Following the sound, the cat discovered the bird under the pile of cow dung, and promptly dug him out and ate him.

Moral of the story:

(1) Not everyone who shits on you is your enemy;
(2) Not everyone who gets you out of shit is your friend;
(3) And when you're in deep shit, it's best to keep your mouth shut!

Have a great weekend of Easter bunny frolics, and if you don't believe in the Easter celebrations because you think it's all Pagan stuff, well just enjoy the weekend.

Chat soon

Ta-ra

1 comment:

  1. "Bank Holiday Blues". Heh! Sounds very Mike Harding :)

    Dunno about the weather, I love a good snow, but then again, I don't drive.

    My Bear read your mummers tale and said "Oh, how true. And I should know". True :)

    ReplyDelete