Sunday 19 August 2012

Ladybird on my Shoe

Hello fellow bloggers and blog readers.

It's been nearly a fortnight since I blogged; I seem to be only blogging at weekends because weekdays are blessedly busy! Anyhow, last weekend was spent in the beautiful countryside of North Yorkshire just on the edge of the wonderful Dalby Forest just outside a village called Thornton-le-Dale at Pexton Moor Farm. I was with a few friends enjoying the fresh air and it was our intent to do some spiritual exercises and meditations, but the weekend was just one long much needed relaxing break, we just chilled out. 

The weather was fine although I have to say the Friday night was somewhat chilly, but we saw the International Space Station pass by on the Friday night - bright, stately and magnificent and we saw a few meteorites from the Perseid showers - often known as 'St Lawrence's tears' as they occur on the 10th August, the anniversary of the man's martyrdom ( c. 225–258, a deacon of ancient Rome and the keeper of the Holy Chalice).

Work on our garage conversion goes on apace and the garage door is long gone and a hole awaits a window fitting tomorrow. Internal rooms in what once was the garage are now created, the walls lined and some of the plumbing done. The house is in a mess with 'stuff' awaiting the completion of the conversion when we can get it safely stored back in a specifically built store room.

Here is before:



And here is a... wall with a hole!


Now then, here's a question. I was walking to a friends house for a meditation last week one evening and happened to come across a couple of magnificent chestnut trees on the side of the footpath in the grounds of a nursing home. Both the trees and indeed other chestnut trees I subsequently spied during the walk also had leaves that were like this:


Has anyone any idea what this may be? I know the Chestnuts are one of the earliest trees to turn when autumn arrives, but surely, it's too early for leaves to turn yet?

Finally, the title of the blog? I had just cut the grass this afternoon and was having a reflective moment on a garden chair with a cup of fruit tea before the rain came and a ladybird landed on my foot. Here is a picture of a black ladybird with red spots I took a couple of weeks ago.

Chat soon

Ta-ra.

11 comments:

  1. Good luck with the build. Lovely pics. No idea what the marks on the leaf are. That's one cool looking ladybird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those marks on the leaves don't bode well, I suspect, tho' I'm no authority. Some kind of weevil-ly, wormy, beetle thing I should think.
    I have never seen a black lady bird although I knew they existed....and YAY! for North Yorkshire

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that damage is the horse chestnut leaf miner moth. I remember seeing it in London a few years ago. I suppose it's inevitable it would spread northwards. I remember correctly, it doesn't do too well in very hot conditions.

    Though there was some concern at the time, down south it seemed to have been held at bay because the birds love the moth and grub, as do parasitic wasps.

    And that appears to be a Harlequin Ladybird sir :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you want more information on that ladybird ask Donegal Wildlife on my sidebar. Stuart Dunlop is very knowledgeable on such things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Val
    Many thanks, I've seen so many different types of ladybird this year, all shades including yellow ones; I'm going to try the expert via Weavers blog, thats been of use in the past. XX

    Hi John
    Bless you, I'll try! X

    Hi ChrisJ
    North Yorkshire is every bit as beautiful as ever XX

    Hi Wheelie
    Thans for the info on the Chestnut leaf and the ladybird - harlequin - a strange and beautiful name (always had a thing about harlequin). X

    Hi Weaver
    I've visited Stuart's site before on your recommendation - he's excellent - many thanks for the reminder. XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leafy-logic is more my hubby's forte, but I'd like to know myself out of curiosity. I may get back to you on this one. I love ladybirds but I find it's more midges that land on me instead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty good post. Commercial Garage Doors
    maintenance is very necessary and we we provide best service to you .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I lovеd as much aѕ you will receive caгried out right here.
    The sketch is attгаctive, your authored
    subject matter ѕtylіsh. nonеtheless, you command get
    bought an impatience oѵеr that you wish be delivеring the following.
    unωell unquestionablу cοme mοrе formeгly agaіn as
    exactly the same neaгly a lot often inside case you shield this
    incгеase.

    Сhecκ out my web page - is the hcg diet safe

    ReplyDelete
  9. fantаstic ρоints altogether, yοu just gained a new reaԁer.
    What maу you reсommend about your put up that уοu made a few
    days agο? Any certain?

    my webрage :: igf-1 steroids

    ReplyDelete
  10. If your parking lot entrance makes scratchy noises during opening, it can wake the entire neighbourhood. Professional companies can fix the noises once for all. garage door company Tacoma

    ReplyDelete