Monday 2 May 2011

Branagh's Touch of Class - Thor


Following a recommendation, I went to see Thor last night at the cinema. I sometimes worry about recommendations, you can often end up so disappointed, but no need to worry on this one - it was two hours of entertainment and great cinematography - thanks to my youngest son for this tip. This had director Kenneth Branagh's fingerprint's all over it, quality acting, emotion, humour, production values, a decent story and 3D that didn't distract me from the content of the film.

This 12A rated film had no swearing that I can remember nor was the violence gratuitous or gory. Thor (Chris Hemsworth) is banished from Asgard by his father and king, Odin (Anthony Hopkins) after reigniting a war with another race. Thor arrives at Earth (where else) powerless without his hammer and mortal. He has no idea about how to conduct himself and therein lies the humour. His arrogance as a supreme being from his own world works well. He is befriended by a small group of scientists which includes Natalie Portman and Stellan Skarsgard.

The story revolves around his attempts to regain his power, recover his mighty hammer and return to Asgard to fight his brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston) who wants to take over the realm of Asgard by killing their father Odin.

This is highly entertaining and good fun and suitable for older children and adults and gives an interesting if Hollywood moulded insight into Norse mythology. You would imagine that Marvel Comics who produce the film would have run out of new and interesting characters, but I think Branagh has brought a touch of class to proceedings. Recommended.

On a separate note, this morning I awoke to the news that the world may well have just changed.

Chat soon
Ta-ra. 

4 comments:

  1. Will you stop that? You're making me feel old:)

    I used to buy Thor, Superman and Spider man comics as a kid. Now if someone did Jag and Victor comic characters, you can count me in.

    By the way, who was the comic character who controlled lots of little mechanical soldiers from a remote control on his wrist? I fear my google skills aren't up to that :) Now, that'd be a film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wheelie - I remember it well - blimey... there's a question. I've tried to Google it and have come up with no answers yet.

    I'm afraid I was a Beano and Victor man, I never got the more exciting Marvel/DC comics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must look out for a film as it has no swearing and no gratuitous violence - a rarity these days!

    As for whether the world has changed - we shall have to wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Weaver
    It's good entertainment.
    I must admit, I'm surprised at the total lack of reaction from certain sections of the world; I think, in all honesty, they are probably as relieved as we are!
    XX

    ReplyDelete