Sunday 25 September 2011

Second Flowering


The spider above seems content to sit on a web in front of the kitchen window making me ever so slightly nervous and it's not even in the house! Have you noticed what hairy legs it's got?

It's been a funny old year weather wise. Hot spring, wet summer which has proved apparently great for the fruit farmers and for the birds because of the berries on the trees and shrubs. Not sure what this has meant for arable farmers but there is something a bit odd I haven't seen before.

There is a second flowering for some of our trees even though they have fruit on and some of the leaves are starting to take on an autumn hue. This includes my brother/sister-in-law's cherry tree next door - and here's a pic taken today to prove it.


My rose trees have got a fresh set of flowers and the geraniums, normally well past their best are producing lovely flowers too!


Can't complain, they do add to the lovely colours around. I'll be taking the flowers out by mid October and by early November, the garden gets a shave with the trimmers.

I hope the week ahead is a good one for you.

Chat soon

Ta-ra

10 comments:

  1. Lovely photos. The spider is amazing! I got my grass cut yesterday, it was up to my elbows! I found two frogs out there too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Val
    Many thanks Val - I understand you've had the odd drop or two of precipitation! I remember as a kid wanting to help my mum and dad so while they were out, I cut the gras and ran over the resident frog with the mower (accidentally). Needless to say, I never cut the grass there again!
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes very impressive photo of the arachnid. Were you brave enough to get that close or did you pay some poor child to take the shot ?

    Even here in the US I am seeing reblooming of roses that have not done so in the past and morning glories reseeding and growing like it is spring. Enjoying it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Donna
    They don't really frighten me that much, I used the macro setting to my little camera which means I was about an inch away from it - so I think I was brave! Strange that we see re-blooms, as long as it doesn't do the plants and shrubs any damage once the winter gets to them we'll just enjoy them.
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful purple roses -- almost like my Royal Robe flower. I had a run in with a creature, which I will post about soon,-- not saying what :)
    It's our birds which get confused with the seasons because we still have dry warm days for another month (hopefully). I have heard house finches and mocking birds singing like it was spring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures RLS :) I used to keep spiders as pets for years in a disused aquarium. That is, until I put one in that was hungrier than the rest...

    I'm getting roses re-flowering. Just as I was thinking it was time to take some cuttings.

    Ah, well, perhaps for the best if the expected 'heatwave' happens this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coming across that spider picture unawares was a bit of a shock!! Still, those lovely purle flowers made up for it. Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi ChrisJ
    I'm fascinated - can't wait. I'm sure nature here is slightly confused because we seem to have had a return to 'normal' seasons in the last couple of years which they haven't been used to.
    XX

    Hi Wheelie
    Many thanks, I don't think I would have the courage to keep them... I've just seen the forcast and we're in for a mini heat wave!
    X

    Hi Weaver
    Sorry for the shock! Yes the roses are lovely if not a little delicate but they smell divine.
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've got those spiders in our garden at the moment. Scary, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi MorningAJ,
    Yes we only seem to see them this time of the year...
    XX

    ReplyDelete