Sunday 30 August 2009

Desperately seeking...

I'm hunting, seeking, praying for a new source of Whortleberry Jam. My friend Linda brought me a jar she found in a shop in Taunton, Somerset whilst she was on a week's break down there, the last of the stock they had.

'What,' I hear you say, 'is Whortleberry Jam?' It is my discovery of the decade, well in food terms anyway. In short, it is jam made from wild bilberries from the genus Vaccinium. According to Wikipedia, in folklore it used to be thought to improve night vision which is uncertain, but it is thought to help macular degeneration (going blind in the middle of your line of sight?) and prevent heart disease.

Who knows, but I'll tell you what, it is the most sweet tasting, smooth jam I have ever had and knocks all the traditional jams into a cocked hat.


If you know of a source near you, please let me know.


Hope you are enjoying your weekend.


Chat soon


Ta-ra.

No comments:

Post a Comment