Friday 6 August 2010

257 (Goths don't read this)

Welcome to the 257th blog. No significance at all, just thought I'd mention it. In the year 257, according to Wikipedia, the Goths were building a fleet on at the Black Sea and then the Goths separated into the Visigoths and Ostrogoths. I hope that makes sense to someone, it doesn't mean anything to me.

Poor old Goths, they were then defeated in the same year along the Danube river by Aurelian (Lucius Domitius Aurelianus - Roman Emperor at the time,) so they were obviously having an up and down year.

It's at times like these when you realise (well, I realise) what a poor education I must have had because I had no idea that 257 (CCLVII in honour of Aurelianus) was a prime number, a Fermat prime, a Proth prime and a Pythagorean prime. To put the icing on the cake of mathematical mumbo jumbo, it's an irregular prime, balanced prime and a long prime. Now here's the thing that astounds me - the next prime number is 263 which is 6 away, it's also officially called a sexy prime! This is true - Wikipedia says so. I'm sure you guessed it's also a Chen prime, Eisenstein prime and a Pierpoint prime. I've got a headache!

If you think I have too much time on my hands to come up with this cobblers, it's because I have. I've taken the day off to help around the house and I've just sat down for half an hour for my first cuppa of the day and popped the cricket on the TV watching England take Pakistan apart on the first day of the second test.

Tasks so far, car into the garage for 8 am (the engine warning light came on on Wednesday night and the handbook helpfully says this may mean that emissions are not good and if I carry on driving I may cause irreparable damage); walked to the village bakers for bread cakes for lunch, butchers for meat for sandwiches and home for 8.45 am. Tidied the house (mother and father coming for a sandwich for lunch and to see number 2 poorly son), emptied the dishwasher, refreshed the bird feeders and some other ancillary bits and pieces. The fishpond was half emptied, the fish taken out, examined, the new fry and last years new fish taken out and put into a smaller pond. I am now going back to work for a rest!

Enjoy your weekend.

Chat soon

Ta-ra

No comments:

Post a Comment