Saturday 13 February 2010

Who cares about crime?

Other half is in bed as I ramble this morning, she's on nights so I've done some tidying round, emptying bins, quietly hoovering, took some cardboard and bottles to the tip and after lunch I'm going to get into the garden and just have a first tidy round to get rid of the effects of winter.

I noticed that there is much sadness reported in the media this morning with deaths all over the place: the assistant professor (female) at the University of Alabama (USA) who allegedly killed three colleagues and wounded others because she had been passed over for promotion. There's the dreadful case of the man alleged to have attempted to murder his children by driving into a river in Worcestershire (UK) with them in the car. One of the children as I write is still 'poorly' and in a critical condition - I pray they get well and the family can come to terms with this forever life changing act. There are other cases, too many to mention individually.

And yet, despite these high profile, well reported crimes which attract public interest for the unusual nature of the crimes committed, crime is falling and has been in general for some time. You might not think so if you have been a victim (yes I have too!) because it has a dramatic effect even though it may be minor. Yet the fear of crime is another matter and that is a real problem. What makes a 'no-go' area for example? Fear of crime or actual crime?

What effect does reporting of crime have on our attitude? A local paper today (Hull Daily Mail) has a headline story on the Internet of two convicted yobs who assaulted a number of people in a very short space of time, one seriously and through a fractured skull has lost the hearing in one ear. Another woman was beaten about the head, her property stolen and sexually assaulted. The guilty pair have yet to be sentenced and the comments from the public who are allowed to print their views on the Internet article are baying for blood and are sceptical about whether or not the judiciary have the bottle, courage, call it what you will, to sentence these nutters appropriately. Most think they'll get a slap on the wrist and yet they have changed peoples lives forever through their lust for violence.

We read this story as the headline and form an opinion about the place where we live. I've never witnessed this behaviour as I walk around or go about my business throughout the whole of the area, be it a place with a bad reputation or a good one. I don't go out into the city centre on a night because I'm too old and I know there is violence when idiots get too much booze inside them, but by and large, we live in one of the safest countries in the world. So why are we so frightened by thinking we may become a victim of crime no matter what it is.

People have written books on the subject and I am not an academic so I have no real answers other than what the 'man in the street' sees as potential solutions. But we live in changed times from those in which our parents grew up. Standards and opportunities are so much greater now than they have ever been, but the lazy criminal fraternity see no need to take advantage of this and there is no incentive in law for them to get a grip on their lives. I feel sorry for their children who, in some cases are born losers because they will have little if any encouragement towards good citizenship. Forgive me for saying that, but I believe it to be true.

We should all care by the way, care about the way we conduct ourselves, take care that our families get the best chance in life, care about where we live and how we live. Only through our influence and our attitudes will things change. The shame is that it might not change quickly enough.

I now need feeding as hunger has overtaken my need to have a rant. I feel soup is on the way!

And finally, I read the other day a local druggie had injected himself with curry. He's now in hospital in a korma.

Chat soon

Ta-ra.

No comments:

Post a Comment