Friday 31 July 2009

Fit... to drop

I have to really careful and not turn into the stereotypical Englishman - always on about the weather; so just a couple of photographs today (click on the pics to enlarge) to illustrate my point of the joys of having holiday time in the UK with the kind of weather we just love.

I've been trying the Wii Fit today, only for the second time and its not too bad, I've not made a fool of myself - yet. I think the yoga is very good and although I have difficulty in controlling my breathing while stood on one leg like a demented stork, my balance is superb as my centre of gravity is bang in the middle it seems. Now here's the rub - it says, based on my age, weight and my balance that I have a body fitness of a 20 year old! Hmm, I think its credibility is definitely on the ropes, that's why I'm on a diet and walking 4.5Km three times a week for fun and JUST fitting into a 44" waist pair of slacks.

My mother, who is an exceptional baker and cook in general made me a cake today, low/no fat sponge cake with just a slither of jam in the middle. It was... interesting if not a little chewy, but tasty. It is not however, her normal standard of coffee cake (with walnuts on top) or chocolate cake which are to die for.

Despite my weight (it's still coming off, the Wii said I'd lost three pounds in seven days) I actually used to be quite fit at school. I ran the cross country in about 12 minutes, one and two hundred metres in a good schoolboy time and putted the shot (is that the right phrase?) I remember however the turning point; I once ran the 400 metres and half way through I felt a terrible pain which must have been a stitch I suppose and at the end, I was feeling physically sick. From that day to this, around 36 years, I have never run any distance to talk of. I really think I need to do a little short distance jogging, but my fear is that until I lose some more weight, I might do myself some damage.

My good blogger friend Middle-aged-gapper is running 10Km races in around 60 minutes which is superb and he is just a year or so younger than me. I can walk half that distance in one hour, so there may be hope for me yet.

Well the weekend is here and time for this weeks thought for the day, this time about balls.

After a 2 year study, the National Science Foundation announced the following results on America's recreational preferences:

1. The sport of choice for unemployed or incarcerated people is: basketball.
2. The sport of choice for maintenance level employees is: bowling.
3. The sport of choice for blue-collar workers is: football.
4. The sport of choice for supervisors is: baseball.
5. The sport of choice for middle management is: tennis.
6. The sport of choice for corporate officers is: golf.

Conclusion: The higher you rise in the corporate structure, the smaller your balls become.

With thanks to http://sportzfun.com/

Have a great weekend

Chat soon

Ta-ra.

1 comment:

  1. I want a wii fit!
    Well done on the weight loss. You are doing great.
    Your weather sounds much like ours...it's awful

    ReplyDelete